Enjoy your weekend while sticking to your goals with this easy treat you can make at home in less than 5 minutes! Even healthy marketed brands like 'Boom Chicka Pop' contain inflammatory vegetable oils! Making your popcorn to sneak into the movie theatre will save you from spending money on overpriced popcorn full of chemicals, preservatives and an entire stick worth of butter. All you need is organic popcorn kernels, a medium to high heat oil such as avocado or coconut oil, a good pot with a lid and your toppings of choice. I use ghee and Himalayan pink sea salt to make mine taste just like the movie theatres, minus the bloating and inflammation. For a lower calorie treat, you can stick with salt (I love the truffle salt from Clancy's Meat Shop) or add in flavouring with nutritional yeast.
1 tbsp oil (I use coconut)
50g popcorn kernels (this makes a large bowl for only 150 calories!)
Toppings of choice
1. In a large pot, combine oil and 2 popcorn kernels over medium heat. Cover with the lid and wait for the kernels to pop.
2. Once the kernels pop, take the pot off the burner (eat that popped corn obviously) and add the remaining kernels to the pot. Wait 60 seconds to make sure the oil isn't too hot before putting it back on the burner.
3. Continue cooking the popcorn, shaking the pot back and forth while cooking to ensure the kerns are cooking evenly.
4. Once the kernels start popping, top the lid ever so slightly to allow the steam to escape to ensure the popcorn stays crunchy. Continue to shake the pot as you are holding the lid tipped slightly off.
5. Continue cooking until the popping slows down.
6. Sprinkle with salt and any other toppings such as grass fed butter, ghee, nutritional yeast, etc... and enjoy!