These Chicken Shawarma and Sweet Potato Bowls are one of our favourite recipes from the Half Baked Harvest. The version posted below includes a few edits to make it SnS approved. We omit added sweeteners, products packed in inflammatory vegetable oils, and provide dairy free options!
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size chunks
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons kosher salt and pepper
juice of 2 lemons
4 cloves garlic minced or grated
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
5 tablespoons olive oil
2 sweet potatoes cut into matchsticks
1 bunch asparagus ends trimmed
4 cups cooked couscous or quinoa
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
GARLIC TAHINI DIP
1 cup coconut yogurt (Nature's Fare and Save On Foods sell this)
2 tablespoons tahini
1-2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
OR for a quick dairy free option you can use Spread Em Garlic Tzatziki Spread (available at Nature's Fare)
1. In a large gallon size zip-top bag, combine the chicken, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, lemon juice, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, and 2 tablespoons olive oil, toss to combine. Seal and chill for 30 minutes or up to 12 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
3. Place the sweet potatoes on a large baking sheet and toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes, then flip and bake for 15-20 minutes more.
4. Place the asparagus on a baking sheet and toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, kosher salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven and roast for 10-15 minutes.
5. Place the marinated chicken on a large baking sheet and spread in an even layer. Transfer to the oven and roast for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
6. Divide the couscous among 4-6 storage containers and arrange the chicken, sweet potatoes, asparagus, and olives on top. Alternately, you can store the couscous, chicken, and veggies in separate containers and assemble when ready. Food will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
7. Before serving, warm each bowl if desired and top with garlic yogurt (see below) and your desired toppings.
GARLIC TAHINI YOGURT
1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. Keep stored in the fridge for up to 1 week.